Micro dosing, just as the name suggests, involves taking small doses of drugs, which in this case the drug is psilocybin. These small doses of a particular drug should not cause any intoxication or alter the consciousness of the user in any way.
Magic mushrooms (also known as amani, philosopher’s stones, blue meanies, liberty caps, agaric, and golden tops) are mushrooms that contain psilocybin, a naturally occurring hallucinogenic compound. These mushrooms often grow in the wild but can also be cultivated. Just like other hallucinogenic compounds, magic mushrooms may also cause a person to see, hear or feel unreal sensations when used in large doses. However, these sensations are said to be largely influenced by one’s environment.
Most people prepare magic mushrooms by either drying them and then incorporating them into food or drinks, brewing it just like the way tea is brewed, mixing it with marijuana or tobacco before smoking, or eating the freshly picked ones. There is also a naturally occurring psychedelic drug, liquid psilocybin, which is found in liberty caps. This liquid is brown and is found in small vials.
Psilocybin in magic mushrooms after entering the human body becomes psilocin, which binds with serotonin receptors in the brain (receptor 5-HT2C), thus regulating the release of neurotransmitter chemicals related to imagination, memory, appetite, learning, mood, and perception. Psilocin increases the visual cortex’s activity while decreasing the part of the brain responsible for an individual sense of self.
According to some users, micro-dosing has some benefits. These benefits include:
- An improved mood of the user – People who took microdoses of magic mushroom were often calm, happy, had an improved outlook, appreciation, and optimism.
- Stimulation and increased energy of the user.
- Improved concentration, mindfulness, and focus – People who microdose often say small quantities of magic mushroom help them undertake big projects without them losing focus.
- Better brain function in terms of the brain working at its full potential on dosing days as opposed to those days when they do not microdose.
- Improved mental health whereby a user is likely to experience reduced anxiety, stress, and help in dealing with depression.
- Creativity – Although it is difficult to quantify creativity, users who microdose magic mushrooms often report that after using the drug, there is an increase in their curiosity, improved divergent thinking, and improved perspective shifting.
- Social benefits such as improving ones’ parenting and enhancing a person’s relationships.
- Better body functioning
- Lack of side effects after micro-dosing
- Some people claim that micro-dosing has helped them quit other drugs such as tobacco and alcohol.
Even though micro-dosing only involves taking small quantities of a drug, thus causing no notable changes in one’s consciousness, it is not meant for everyone especially people with mental health disorders. Some people may not have mental issues, but still, the microdoses may impact them negatively. For example, they may experience uncomfortable sensations, reduced focus, increased anxiety, reduced energy, and bad moods.